While the rest of us are having burgers and corn on the cob and not going in the ocean (thanks, Earl) this Labor Day weekend, many of the region’s Gaelic Athletic Association players are in Chicago at Gaelic Park for the 2010 North American County Board championship playoffs.
There are 78 teams representing 22 cities—including Philadelphia and Allentown—in Chicago today (Friday, September 3) for the games, which is the biggest GAA playoff event ever in the US.
The teams from the region participating include:
- The Philadelphia Shamrocks, Junior B Hurling
- The Kevin Barrys, Men’s Senior Football
- Young Irelands, Men’s Intermediate Football
- St. Patricks, Men’s Junior A Football
- Young Irelands, Men’s Junior B FootballSt. Patrick’s Men’s Junior C Football
- Allentown Hibernians, Junior C Hurling
- Mairead Farrells, Ladies Sr. Football
- Notre Dame, Ladies Intermediate Football
Philadelphia’s teams will also participate in All-American teams in several rounds of football (including against the Chicago Fire Department team!).
Check out the action from last Sunday when the Kevin Barrys won the city championship over the Young Irelands in these photos by Eileen McElroy, who is both a talented photographer and a player (she’s with Notre Dame ladies’ football club).