CREAMY CARROT-CLOVE SOUP
SERVES 6 TO 8
This is one of my all-time favorite soups, and with the chilly temperatures we’ve been having lately, it’s definitely time for another batch. The recipe has been in my soup repertoire since 1999 when it appeared in my first cookbook, “Irish Heritage Cookbook.” A few whole cloves add magic to it, and you can serve it “as is” or embellish it with Bacon Breadcrumbs (recipe follows), a later addition. For a thicker consistency add a chopped potato.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 10 whole cloves
- 4 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoon heavy cream
- Minced fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish
- In large saucepan over medium heat, heat butter and oil. Add carrots, onions, garlic, and cloves and cook for about 8 minutes, or until vegetables are soft but not browned.
- Add stock or broth, bring to boil, then reduce heat to low; cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes, or until carrots are tender. Remove cloves and discard. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Working in batches, transfer mixture to food processor or blender and purée until smooth. (May be prepared to this point 1 day ahead). Return purée to saucepan over medium heat and stir in lemon juice and sugar. Simmer until heated throughand season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle the soup into shallow bowls, drizzle with cream, and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and parsley.
Bacon Bread Crumbs
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 slices white sandwich bread
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In medium skillet over medium heat, cook bacon for 7 to 9 minutes, or until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Discard all but 1 tablespoon fat from the pan.
- In a mini food processor, pulse bread 8 to 10 times to medium-fine crumbs. Transfer bread crumbs to bacon fat and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to small bowl.
- Pulse bacon in food processor to fine bits and stir into the breadcrumbs. Stir in the parsley and pepper. (Store leftover breadcrumbs in refrigerator for up to 3 days).
Photo credit: Nadger | Dreamstime.com