This tart recipe starts with a shortbread-like crust and is then filled with peaches and blackberries (you can substitute blueberries if you like).
The crumble top adds a third delicious dimension.
You’ll find other sweets recipes in my cookbook Teatime in Ireland (Buy One, Get One Free) with signed copies available at www.irishcook.com.
PEACH-BLACKBERRY TART WITH CRUMBLE TOPPING
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts or almonds
- 1/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch sea salt
For the pastry:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 4 large peaches, halved lengthwise, pitted, and quartered
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Make topping. Preheat oven to 325° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor; pulse 4 to 5 times, or until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Transfer mixture to prepared pan and bake, stirring every 10 minutes, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until crumbs are lightly browned.
- Make pastry. Increase temperature to 350° F. Pulse flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in food processor until combined. Add butter; pulse 4 to 5 times, or until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg and vanilla and process until dough comes together.
- With floured hands, press dough onto base and up sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Chill pastry in pan for 10 to 15 minutes, or until firm.
- Make filling. In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, and tapioca. Add peaches, blackberries, and lemon juice; toss to coat. Spoon filling into pastry and bake on middle oven rack for 1 hour. Sprinkle topping over fruit and bake 15 to 20 minutes longer, or until filling is bubbling and crust is golden.
- Remove from oven; let cool on rack for about 20 minutes. Release sides of pan. Cut into slices and serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or ice cream.